Thursday, July 20, 2006

A few of my favorite smells

Tonight I was unloading groceries into the house and I had to stop - I stopped dead - and gasped. There was the most delicious, seductive, beautiful smell I have ever smelled - it was like cinnamon and sweet nutmeg and warm milk and cayenne pepper all rolled up into one. But there was no one around. So I put down the groceries and went on a smelling hunt to find out what on earth that could be??? (Picture me in my scrubs with my hair all in my face walking slowly around the yard occasionally stopping or ducking down close to the ground to smell something - good thing I live in the country sometimes, I think).

Finally, I found it! There was a patch of stinging nettles (to all people in shorts the most vile plant around) but it had been crushed by the rain and the hail a few days before, and parts of it were dying. It was soooo good smelling. I loved it! So I added a new favorite smells to my favorite smells list.

And then I thought about all my other favorite smells, and thought it would be fun to blog them all. Weigh in on yours so I can be entertained on my stretch of nights coming up.

I love the smell of: (in no particular order)
Saltwater
the faint smell of chlorine (like when you just step into a pool foyer)
rotting leaves
fresh cut grass
construction sites (oh, the glory of gravel and concrete and dust and lumber)
nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice
coffee, cake baking, or best of all some coffee cake baking
Head and Shoulders
vanilla
the smell of gasoline that stays on your hands after you gas up (but after five minutes I've had too much and think I smell butch)
mud in the spring
sunscreen (the kind with coconut and palm oil in it - has to smell like beach)
bacon and hashbrowns in the morning
church incense, or old vestments and altar cloths
clothes that dried on the line outside

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»