Thursday, June 29, 2006

Sushi Boats

The weirdest culinary experience of my life. And OK, I'll admit I don't actually usually go for the 'cultural experiences' on my own. You can NEVER beat a good meal of steak and potatoes no matter how hard you try. If it's got some variety of meat, I usually go for it.
But last night was raw stuff. Floating past a big long bar on little boats all chained together in a moat-like thing. I ate some freaky stuff that I never would otherwise. And - gasp - it wasn't bad at all. Except the fried salmon skins, that was bad because it ended up being chewy. But it's surprising what you can make yourself swallow when you dip it in something salty and chew fast.

Enough about the sushi. Last night was better for another reason. I can actually begin to see a place for myself in Calgary now... this last year has opened my mind way way up to living in new places with new people. I like the city, abashedly I'll admit it. I throw around city-slicker jokes right left and center but the city is where all the people are, and I like being where people are. Calgary has some memories for me, too. I saw some old, good friends from high school, and we caught up on the class news. It was good to hear from old friends that yes, indeed, other people have equally frustrating romantic lives. (More of the variety where they have all these relationships that almost work, and then don't; as opposed to the romantic lives where no one seems to bite - not sure which one is worse, but it's not a comparison game). Some people are pregnant, or engaged unexpectedly (and of course it's always the ones that never wanted to be at this point). Some people are going on and doing what they always wanted to do, or trying brave new things like venturing halfway across the world.

We looked at a map of the world and thought about where we'd like to go someday. I realized that I really would like to go to Morocco, or at least somewhere that isn't in North America. I saw a picture once of the coastline and decided it was possibly one of the most beautiful places in the world.

No comments: