Sunday, September 10, 2006

Gretchenville

It was the last weekend of the summer... and we were bored. And we realized that we missed the rodeo season. And in a semi-drunken moment my aunt said, "We can make our own rodeo right here (in our campground)!" It was a moment we would never look back from.
As any self-respecting Albertan knows, for a rodeo you need a bull. So we made one. A 'real' bucking bull made out of a barrel that is more difficult to ride than it looks. (I speak from experience.) My little cousins Kyle and Cameron (my boys :) ) made the rodeo. Cameron was the 'pannouncer' and Kyle was Dale Flower, bullrider extraordinaire (he also does all the other rodeo events).

And a rodeo needs a parade too, right? So we had one. With my brother's new car (the bum, he gets a version of my car only it has new car smell and was kept in a heated garage it's whole life and purrs like a sweet devil kitten), the horses, the quads, the car hood, and our Mayor (the aunt who came up with the idea). We named our little 'town' Gretchenville.

Lord, how I got suckered into wearing the 'medic costume' I'll never know. My little cousin (he's 7) Cam said, "But I have to wear a costume I don't like. It's not fair if you don't too." Frig, how do you say no to that? ( I fell asleep while I was supposed to be on 'medic duty' - night shifts and warm sun and the smell of horses and soft ground just all combine to be some weird magic potion.)

We had beer gardens too. Everyone now KNOWS (proof positive) that while I appear rational, really I am just nuts.

Comment on the horse... his name is Jimmy. He's actually a rodeo champion, won the stampede calf roping. His full name is Jim Beam Whiskey, but we call him Jimmy for the sake of the impressionable cousins, trying to be like the real cowboys they see in the rodeo movies. I love this horse. He goes like stink when you want him to. And while he's spirited and stubborn too, he can be sweet and gentle (once you wear him out a bit). He belongs to my uncle, and is Cam's horse (Cam my cousin, not me) but when my uncle's not here, between me and Jimmy, I think he's a wee bit mine too.

No comments: