Thursday, June 21, 2007

An Interview

They asked me a serious question at my clinical educator interview today. Actually, they asked me about five pages worth of questions, all of the interviewers on one side of the table, firing them off in quick succession. They gave me a can of iced tea, telling me "You might just need it" and then they started. I could tell they were trying to make me feel at ease, cracking jokes and poking fun at themselves and at each other. Some of the questions were completely anticipated, "What is your strength? What is your weakness?" type stuff. Some of the questions were NOT anticipated -- name 3 celebrities you admire and explain why you do so. I could only come up with two celebrities... I'm not a fan of a lot of people. In fact, I'm the antifan. Of course, now I can think of twenty celebrities now that I'm sitting at home. Such is life.

They didn't ask me for my references. Which a) means I kicked it b) means I bit the dust that had a cowpatty on top of it or c) am going to get a second round of interview once they have seen more candidates for the position. Guess I'll know next week.

One question they did ask me though, which prompted this blog, was what my greatest accomplishment was. You know, I had never stopped to contemplate that question. I could name a lot of different things - finishing University, something that I did with prolife or Navs, some momentous career moment... but I almost surprised myself with what I told them in the interview. I said that my greatest accomplishment in life is "to be where I am now... I am a few different things to a few different people and I make a difference in their lives and fill a place that only I could fill... etc." now THAT is an accomplishment. I'm a nurse (and my patients can only get Camille style nursing from Camille), I'm a sister and a friend and a girlfriend and a youth worker and a Christian and the lady at the grocery store who always strikes up a conversation with the teller and the bagboy. And I wouldn't rather be doing anything else right now. Life's pretty good, and every person I meet in any single one of those capacities I really care for. I think that's an accomplishment. I was amazed, and happy that I could say that. It felt great to roll off my tongue.

2 comments:

Jess said...

who were your two celebrities?

Camille said...

my two celebrities were Dr. Phil and the Pope. lol